Fresh Vegetable Bibimbap
This is a fresher, lighter version of bibimbap (korean mixed rice) lovely for hot summer nights. It has with taro strips, fried lotus root, korean spinach namul, arugula microgreens , raw baby kale, carrots, sauteed garlic chives, raw purple cauliflower, lightly sauteed raw peanuts in garlic, sauteed mushrooms with light lemony bibimbap sauce. Serves 2
- 2-3 cups (depending on how hungry) short grain brown or white rice
- 10 lotus root slices
- taro slices (about 10 thin mandoline cut rounds then cut into strips)
- 1 carrot, julienne slice
- 1 small bunch of garlic chives, chopped 1.5" sections
- 2 handfuls of raw baby kale
- 2 handfuls of your favorite microgreens
- 2 handfuls of purple cauliflower florets
- 1lb spinach or baby spinach leaves
- 4-5 crimini or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 T soy sauce or temari
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 tsp sesame oil to taste
- olive oil
- veg oil for frying
- sesame seeds
- raw peanuts (optional)
For the sauce, this is a generous amount:
- 1/2 cup of korean chili paste (kochijang, available at Asian grocer)
- 2 T sesame oil
- 1 T honey or agave
- 1 tsp mirin (rice wine)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Mix together all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Make sure you use hot, fresh rice, so get your rice cooker or rice going too.
- You can set aside the raw things in little bowls. (microgreens, kale, carrot, cauliflower, peanuts). The rest of the items need just a little prep.
- Shallow fry the taro until crisp in vegetable oil and let drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water, rinse with cold water. Then squeeze it allll out. mix in the minced garlic, 1-2 tsp of sesame oil, and soysauce or temari, Add a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Chill in fridge.
- Saute your mushrooms until aromatic. Set aside.
- Saute lotus slices quickly (do not overcook!) Set aside.
- Saute garlic chives. Set aside.
- When you are ready to eat, I like to set all the toppings bowls out so I can pick and choose how much of each goes on top of each bowl of hot steaming rice. Add the amount of sauce you like. Mix up and enjoy!