Smoky Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
This is a really easy, delicious black bean soup recipe that never goes wrong.
- 1 can of organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 cups veg stock (I like Better than Bouillon No Chicken Stock)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 small tomato, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 smoked jalapenos or 1 canned chipotle pepper (not the whole can!), sliced
- cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips for garnish
- In a large pot, cook the onions and garlic in olive oil until soft and browned
- Add beans, spices, bay leaf, peppers and stir.
- Add stock
- Let simmer for at least 30-40 minutes, as the soup will thicken. Add more water or stock if needed.
- With a potato masher, mush some of the beans up while it cooks
- Add diced tomatoes
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with a combo or all of the following: cilantro, shredded cheddar or jack, sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips.