Fusion Chiang Mai Noodles with Black Sesame Crackers
This is a California twist on Khao Soi, aka Chiang Mai noodles.
- 2 T veg oil
- 2 T red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups of chicken or veg stock
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 3 T hot yellow curry powder
- 3-4 thai bird chili peppers
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 T fish sauce
- 1/3 cup shallots, chopped
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 1 small white potato, cubed
- some seasonal veggies of your choice (carrot, tomato, broccoli, etc)
- 1/2 package of tofu, cubed
- 1 package of fresh Chinese egg noodles
- In a large pan or wok, cook shallots in a little veg oil. Add garlic and fry until fragrant
- Add curry paste and cook for a minute
- Add coconut milk
- Add stock
- Add turmeric, yellow curry, chili peppers, brown sugar, fish sauce and let simmer for 30 minutes
- In the meantime, boil your noodles, drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Add your potato in and let simmer until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add tofu and other veggies, simmering long enough to cook the veggies but not overcook them.
- When ready to serve, put some noodles in each bowl, ladle in some curry with veggies, top with herbs and sesame crackers