Eggplant Avocado Crostini with Caramelized Onions and Chili Jam
Ok, so the title of this should be : Eggplant Avocado Crostini with Caramelized Onions, Grape Tomatoes, Parmesan, Basil, Mint and Chili Jam. However, please bear with me - I'm a graphic designer, and it's a total eyesore for me to have this header break into 2 lines above the photo. Regardless, these crostini are great for snacks, a light lunch, or party appetizer. (Makes about 6 servings)
- 1 sourdough baguette cut into diagonal 1/2" slices
- olive oil
- 1 eggplant cut lengthwise, then in thin slices (half circles)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1/4 cup chili pepper jam
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- shaved parmesan (or cheese of your choice, or omit altogether)
- basil leaves
- mint leaves
- grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
- fig slices (optional)
- For the eggplant, preheat the oven to 400 deg, rub each slice with olive oil and salt, and roast until brown, about 25 minutes. Keep checking though because they burn easily.
- For the onions, saute in olive oil in a wide pan at medium low, stirring to coat. After 10 minutes add a little salt. I also add a little rice wine to help the caramelization process and to keep the onions wet). They should be done in about 20-30 minutes, very brown and sweet.
- Preheat oven again to broil at 425. Brush each piece of bread with a little olive oil and rub with your garlic. You can cut the garlics in half to make your bread more garlicky. On a baking sheet, broil for about 6-8 mins until light brown and crisp. Let cool.
- Assemble the crostini - layer each toasted bread slice with eggplant, basil, avocado, chili jam, half a grape tomato or a fig slice, mint, cheese and set on a pretty plate to serve these delicious bites.