Korean Short Ribs
My go to place for Korean recipes when my mom isn't reachable via phone is Maangchi. I adapted one of her recipes for my favorite short ribs dish.
- 2lbs of beef short ribs (My favorite butcher in my area is The Local Butcher Shop)
- 1/4 cup soysauce
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch of garlic chives, chopped 1.5" sections
- 2 T mirin
- 1 T dark brown sugar
- 2 large carrots
- baby potatoes
- 4-5 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 T brown rice syrup
- 1 T sesame oil
- 1 -2 tsp sesame oil to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Soak your short ribs in cold water for 45 minutes, rinsing 3-4 times
- In a large pot, boil water, then drop the ribs in. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the water and rinse with cold water, removing all the gunk.
- Clean out your pot and put the short ribs back in.
- In a bowl, mix 2 cups of water, soy sauce, minced garlic, onion, mirin, and brown sugar. Pour over your short ribs in the pot.
- Boil for 20 minutes.
- The veggies are traditionally carrots and white radish cut into ball shapes. I like using tiny potatoes. You can peel them, but I don't mind leaving the skin on.
- Add potato, carrot, and mushrooms to the pot and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and ladling the liquid over the meat.
- Check if the meat is done by poking it with a chopstick or utensil of your choice. The meat should give easily.
- Add brown rice syrup, sesame oil, pepper. Heat til the sauce thickens
- Take your your meat and veggies from the pot and put in a serving plate to eat.