Pesto Pasta Salad
I feel kind of silly putting this here, because it's so simple, but it seems to be one of my more popular posts on Pinterest, so here it is. A basic pesto pasta salad for your lunch, light dinner, picnic, or potluck.
- 5 cups of basil- I throw in the whole bunch, but if you get yours from the farmers market like I do, be sure to remove the heavier stems and stalks.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (or walnuts, or almonds, or whatever nut you like)
- 1 1/2 cup quality olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- juice of half a lemon
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 package of pasta (above I'm using brown rice fusilli)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup shaved parmesan or romano or asiago
- zest of one lemon
- Toast your nuts in a frying pan and let cool
- In a food processor, pulse together nuts, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice
- With the food processor running, pour in the olive oil in a slow stream
- Add the 1/2 cup of grated parmesan
- Scoop out your pesto and set aside.
- Boil your pasta, drain, and rinse with cold water
- In a large bowl, mix together your pasta with desired amount of pesto (about 8 oz)
- Add tomatoes, whatever veggies you like, nutmeg, lemon zest and shaved parmesan. Combine well.